Health and Fitness... A Family Affair

 Good Morning, Good Afternoon, Good Evening wherever you may be I hope this Update finds you well.

Since my last update, Hurricane Ian, though it passed, is still reeking havoc in my community. I wasn't affected personally with my family nor my property... My children have been out of school for the entire month of October. My Gym was closed but decided this week to reopen with a limited schedule. With the gym closed and the schools being out, my restless children decided they wanted to workout with dad.

    My Gym partner invested in a set of dumbbells about a year ago so we were still able to get some work done to these hungry muscles. This allowed for a perfect opportunity to involve the kiddos in our workouts. (For the sake of privacy they will be referred to from Oldest to Youngest as 1,2,3,4,5) at first #3 was the only one actively interested in weight training. She came with me the first night and paid close attention to how we did our workouts. She listened with full attention as we explained how to hold the weights and what motions to use to activate specific muscle groups for the workouts. She was completely invested in what we were saying and giving everything she could to do the movements correctly.  

    The next evening #2 asked if she could come along with us and workout. I said sure and now we had #2 and #3 going with my gym partner and I to pump some iron. We started our workout like normal with a little bit of stretching. Two reps into our first workout it was obvious that #2 wasn't taking this serious. She was more interested in BEING A PART of what we were doing rather than DOING what we were doing. We let her workout with the lightest weights and listened to her talk about how easy it was, while #3 was using moderately heavy weights for her age and size and really focusing on working the specific muscle groups we were working.

    The next evening it had nearly became a family affair. Thirty minutes before I got off work, #2 called and asked if we were going to work out this evening. She was excited and told me that #3 was gonna be ready too. To my surprise when i got home, #1 was also ready to go. The thing you guys need to know about #1 is she is a super crafty kid. She loves using her 3D printer to make about anything she can think of, She loves to Knit and Crochet, and she has recently taken up sewing little creatures she finds patterns for. She was very excited to work out and was full of questions. In the car on the way to my buddies house, I told #2 that she needs to take this serious, she needs to focus on what were doing and try her absolutely best to work as hard as she can. I told her we take lifting serious and we don't have time for her comments and jokes about how easy it is if she isn't going to try. That pep-talk was enough to get her on board. She was TRYING heavier weights, often times had to reduced down to lighter ones, but nevertheless she was trying her hardest to work out with us.

    The Next night we had to do this thing as a family, #4 and #5 were feeling left out. We loaded up in the car and went to work out together, As a family with my buddy and his wife. The kids loved it. They were learning about muscle groups, learning about isolated motions, and figuring out their limits. I learned each of my children had different motivations and different goals in mind with lifting. #3 wants to get stronger,
#1 just enjoys doing what Dad is doing, #2 wants to be an influencer... however that ties into lifting.

    This last couple weeks has ignited something in me that I wasn't aware I had in me. I sincerely want to bring healthy habits into my home. I have 5 small children that I'm responsible in this life and if I can teach them while they are young to live a healthy lifestyle, they will be set for the rest of their lives...at least have knowledge of how to be set health wise. As long as we have had children, though a lot of our habits haven't been the greatest, we have taught them to enjoy water and have limited access to sugary sweet drinks. I think this was our greatest tool in bringing them to a place where fitness could be great for them. They already have it instilled in them that water is very important. I'm excited for the future with them and want them to grow with confidence in themselves and their abilities to excel.

    On Monday, The Gym returns to regular schedule... So its now going to be two-a-days. We go to the gym at 5:00am, Go to work, Go home, and take the kiddos to the Garage Gym at my buddies and workout the same muscle group again with them. I am steadily seeing the fruits of my labor and am feeling more confident than ever that this time, the weight loss is going to stick. I'm steadily losing 1-3 lbs a week. Sometimes more. I'm eating more and more clean with less and less variance. This is a really exciting time in my journey I understand how successful people are able to stick with it when they go for a couple months. I weighed in this morning and i finally dropped below 290. I weighed in at 289.6. I haven't wrote down on paper a target weight goal, but i figure i will end up around 240-250 and focus on power lifting in the future! Enjoy some pictures of my kiddos lifting with us.



                #3                                      #1

Thank you for taking the time to read through this Blog. I hope the content will inspire and motivate you to start a journey of your own.
If you would like to keep up with my eating habits, Add me as a friend on MyFitnessPal. Link is below.

Follow my Socials: Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, MyFitnessPal, Discord
I stream on twitch nightly: Twitch





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its been a While.

The Beginning